St Peter’s Parish Pastoral Council Meeting (8) Community Centre Tuesday 12th December 2023
Apologies for Absence
Agree minutes of Last Meeting
Matters Arising not covered in this AgendaParish Directory – - Status (JL for TK) - Car Park Steps (JS/PH) - Training for new Ministers of the Word and Ministers of the Eucharist (JN) - Report on Refurbishment of the Community Centre (AB/PH)
The Spiritual Implications of our Membership of the Parish Pastoral Council (JL) Weddings, funerals and other events update (LL/PH) AOB
Minutes of St Peter’s Parish Pastoral Council Meeting (8) Community Centre Tuesday 12th December 2023
Present: John Smart (Chair), Julian Kuzminski (Vice-Chair), John Lally (Secretary), Fr Thomas Chacko, Steve Blakemore, Cecilia Hubble, Paul Hebblethwaite, Liz Lally, Rosina Rutter, Pat Comer, Natasha Esparon, Terry Monahan, Yvonne Rendall, Frank Fallon, Helen Marsh (16)
Agenda The meeting started with a prayer.
Agree Minutes of Last Meeting The Minutes were approved.
Apologies for Absence and One Retirement Teresa Kehoe, Tim Ryan, Adam Billig, John Newbold, Margaret Dance. Mike Hart regrettably had to retire from the Council to care for his wife.
Matters Arising a. Payment for members of the choir singing at funerals: MD, though unable to be present, requested information about how Choir members were to be paid for attendance at funerals. As payment for the organist is arranged via the Funeral Directors, who will take responsibility for informing them of the change? Action: Fr Thomas will inform the Funeral Directors; payment will be made to the Organist who will be responsible to paying the choir; the agreed rate would be £90 for the choir at funerals and £100 at weddings.
b. Parish Directory: The Parish Directory is complete apart from one error where the parish safeguarding officer’s private communication details were provided instead of her official contact details via the Archdiocese. Action: TK to make the necessary changes and submit the draft Directory to the next PPC meeting.
c. Car Park Steps: JS and PH reported that white lines had been painted on the edges of the steps and that this made them more visible in the light from the outside of the Community Centre. Response from parishioners has been good.
d. Training for new Ministers of the Word and Ministers of the Eucharist: no action has been taken on this matter as yet. Fr Thomas would like to have two readers for each Sunday Mass, so more readers are needed. Action: JN to contact Andrew Maund and to seek more readers and arrange training in the new year for both Eucharistic Ministers and Ministers of the Word.
e. Report on Refurbishment of the Community Centre: Roof works have been completed and work has begun to deal with damp and issues with drainage. A damp proof survey has been carried out and the project manager/building surveyor will produce a schedule of works to include the interior, windows, doors, and all compliance requirements. The cost will be £3000 plus VAT for the project manager and it is likely that the whole cost will be in excess of £30,000.
f. Heating and lighting costs: Fr Thomas agreed that Exposition and Masses during the week in the winter months should be celebrated in the Sacristy rather than the Church to save on the costs of hating and lighting. Those who attend Mass during the week will be aware that this has been taking place.
g. Access to the Centre while the Kids’ Club is operating beyond their normal hours: this matter has been resolved informally, but needs to be included in the contract when the Club operates through the day during half terms or school vacations.
The Spiritual Implications of our Membership of the Parish Pastoral Council a. JL, as Parish Adult Catechist, introduced this topic by detailing the effective action by the PPC on a range of practical issues in the Parish. By contrast the only action in relation to the parish spiritual life initiated by the PPC was the very successful pilgrimage to Walsingham organised by JS.
b. By reference to the Parish Pastoral Council Handbook, JL raised the question about how we might move forward with the parish mission and vision stated there, both as a Council and as individual members of that Council.
c. We are all commanded to “go and announce the Gospel of the Lord” and we are at liberty of make known our spiritual needs to the pastors of the Church (Lumen Gentium, 37; Canon 212#2).
d. YR raised the question of what action the parish was taking in relation to the recently published Synthesis Report of the October 23 Synod on Synodality (Walking Together in Communion, Participation, and Mission. Action: JL to read the Synthesis Report and organise a parish session to inform parishioners of its purpose and proposals and to consider further steps to making synodality a reality in parish life.
Weddings, funerals and other events update (EL/PH)
a. Recent experience of funerals underlined the necessity for clear planning and support. In one funeral over 300 people attended and the church was packed to overspill which raised the question about whether it might be possible to get prior information about likely attendance. It also indicated the need for reserved signs to be placed on the first three benches for family members.
b. Welcoming teams are working well so far but more parishioners are needed to participate so that clear responsibilities can be given eg. For control of parking, distribution of orders of service, seating (including seating at back of church for anyone unwell.
c. In the light of an accident that happened at the one funeral the need for proper first aid kits in the Church and the Community Centre was highlighted as well as the importance of having an accident book in the Church. All agreed that these should be provided.
d. There was discussion of the idea of having some basic First Aid training in the parish. Concern was expressed that such training might lead to litigation should errors be made by someone who had only basic training. The large majority of members agreed that if such basic training were possible, perhaps from St John’s Ambulance, it should be offered in the parish. Action: Fr Thomas to ask about likely numbers attending funerals at his meeting with the relatives of the deceased. Action: EL to seek to recruit more parishioners for welcoming and draw up plan of responsibilities. Also to provide Accident Book, new First Aid boxes, and contact St John’s Ambulance about possible basis FA training.
Any Other Business TK sent message to say that she wishes to organise a Christmas Bazaar for the Parish next year. CH referred to discussion in previous PPC meeting in September 2023 about inviting a seminarian to come and work in the parish. Action: CH to speak to TK about this. JS expressed concern about the locking of gates at both sides of the playground outside the parish centre. If there were to be a fire which preventing exit from the main door, the other doors would only provide access to that playground and there would be inadequate protection from fire for children or others using the centre as they would not be able to escape. Action: those in charge of the Kids’ Club and other activities in the Centre to be responsible for unlocking and re-locking the gate near to the sacristy. The meeting concluded with a prayer.